Tuesday, December 12, 2017

My Costa Rica day 1 (day 2)

Opening my eyes, I realized how far from home I was.  One of my favorite movies played in my head, The Wizard of Oz, "We aren't in Kansas, anymore." I couldn't help but comment to myself, "oh Toto, we are far far from Kansas."  

As we got on the bus for our 10 hour bus ride, (oh joy!) it was nice to see 'familiar faces.' Theres something about seeing other tribal students that is so reassuring.  It gives you a sense of home when you are so far away.  

Clearly, everything is completely different than what I am use to.  I feel like theres a part of me that is trying to bridge the gap or find a link between Costa Rica and life on the reservation. There are some similarities, as well as so many differences.  I grew up on the prairie, where theres nothing but grasslands.  The easy humming of the wildlife on the prairie is like a soft hum.  Everything blends together.  I get here and listen to the local sounds.  I love it, but it sounds so chaotic.  It doesn't appear very tranquil like it does at home.  
The more different scenes that we encountered, I found myself constantly checking my gps on google  maps to see where I really was.  

No comments:

Post a Comment